august 12, 2013
In solidarity with Lac-Mégantic
In the wake of the tragedy that took place in Lac-Mégantic on July 6 of this year, the Québec City and Montréal Grands Prix Cyclistes (GPCQM) as well as the La Québécoise and La Montréalaise Cyclosportives, supported by ambassadors from the world of cycling, decided to lend a hand to the fundraising initiatives set up to help people in the stricken municipality.
Red Cross stands at the Grands Prix Cyclistes and the Cyclosportives
From September 12 to 15, during the Grand Prix races and the Cyclosportives, the Red Cross will operate a fundraising stand. Some details of interest:
- Red Cross volunteers will be selling ribbons and bracelets emblematic of the Solidarité Lac-Mégantic initiative.
- Cycling jerseys will be sold with profits going to the Red Cross.
- In 2012, the Québec City and Montréal Grands Prix Cyclistes attracted more than 200,000 fans to the race sites. This year, organizer hope that large numbers of spectators will stop by the Red Cross stands in both cities to make a purchase or a donation.
Locations of the Red Cross stands
September 12, noon to 3 p.m. – La Québécoise Cyclosportive (Grande-Allée, Québec City), 1st edition
September 12, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. – Challenge Sprint Pro (Grande-Allée, Québec City)
September 13, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. – Québec City Grand Prix Cycliste (Grande-Allée, Québec City)
September 14, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. – La Montréalaise Cyclosportive (André-J. Côté Park, Candiac), 1st edition
September 15, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. – Montréal Grand Prix Cycliste (Jeanne-Mance Park)
Initiatives of the La Québécoise and La Montréalaise Cyclosportives
- Since August 1, for every cyclist who registers for a Cyclo, the organizers have been donating $20 to the Fonds Avenir Lac-Mégantic.
- The organizers of the La Québécoise and La Montréalaise Cyclosportives will be donating an initial amount of $5,000 to the Fonds Avenir Lac-Mégantic.
From September 12 to 15, live your passion for cycling to the fullest, and take the opportunity to show that you care!